Wednesday, February 23, 2011

New Idea

I realize that this is super early, but I came up with another idea for a possible project topic. I am a fan of video games. One of the ones I play is a massively multiplayer online role playing game, World of Warcraft (WoW). I know that some people have played WoW on different servers (instances of the game) where the players speak other languages. I was considering looking into this type of possibility and the potential these types of games have for language learning. I've started a character on one of the Spanish-speaking servers, and my plan is to keep a journal of my experiences. (I should remind you that I've only got two years of high school Spanish in my background, so I already feel very unprepared for this. I'm hoping that the immersion into the language will help me to pick up more of the language.) I also have the Rosetta Stone program for Japanese, which I was considering analyzing its potential/effectiveness as well. What I find interesting about this/these idea(s) is that WoW includes interaction in a virtual environment, removing the problem of peoples' accents being noticed. However, this brings up the possibility of other prejudices - such as misspelling, etc. The Rosetta Stone, on the other hand, doesn't have any interaction, but does include sections of the program dedicated to each facet of language (reading, writing, speaking, listening). These two forms of technology seem to test the theories of the interactionists and behaviorists.

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment